Monday, December 08, 2003



Computer Repair #3


[This post is part of an ongoing series of posts in December cataloging how much time I spend repairing the computers here in the Brain household.]

It seems like I just installed updates last week, but this morning there is a new batch waiting for me to deal with. The little bubble opens at the bottom of the screen telling me that there are new Windows Updates ready to install. Here they are:I can choose to read more about all six of these updates -- more time wasted... And as with Computer repair #2, I have to shut down the 20 application windows I have open and download 8 megabytes or so of patches. Of course there is another long EULA to accept:



Then I can install the updates. I look at the clock and click the button. The hard disk starts grinding. A full 9 minutes later the installation process is complete. Then I am told to reboot, and then I can reopen everything I had open before and start working again.

This session has reminded me that every time I reboot I have to kill off the CISVC process. You can see the problem in this screen shot:



You can see at the bottom of the window that CPU utilization is pegged at 100%. The CISVC process and related processes are consuming 100% of the machine's processing power and bringing the whole thing to its knees. Performance is very sluggish when this happens, it happens every time I reboot and the only way to solve the problem is to kill this process. I have tried many times to figure out why this is happening and how to fix it, but have come up empty handed so far.

Every time I reboot I also have to deal with the low disk space on drive D:



You can't just click the X on this bubble, or the bubble will re-appear every 5 minutes. You have to actually click the bubble, wait for the dialog to open and then click cancel to get it to shut up. This is one of two drives used by Gigapocket (which records TV programs like TIVO does on the computer's hard disks), and drive D is always full because of that.

Now I will get to repeat this process on Leigh's machine, the Kids' machine and the laptop. But since those are not high-end machines with optimized disk drives, the installation will take about twice as long. Total time for this repair will be well over one hour I imagine.

Comments:
Catch the wow gold star that holds your gold in wow destiny,cheap wow gold the one that forever maplestory money twinkles within your heart. Take advantage of precious opportunities while they still sparkle before you. Always believe that your buy maplestory mesos ultimate goal is attainable cheap mesos as long as you commit yourself to it.maple money Though barriers may sometimes stand in the way of your dreams, remember that your destiny is hiding behind them.wow gold kaufen Accept the fact that not everyone is going to approve of the choices Maple Story Accounts you've made. Have faith in your judgment.wow gold farmen Catch the star that maple story money twinkles in your heart and it will lead you to your destiny's path. Follow that pathway and uncover the sweet sunrises that await you. Take pride in your accomplishments, as they are stepping stones to your dreams. Understand that you may make mistakes, powerlevelbut don't let them discourage you.ms mesos Value your capabilities and talents for they are what make you truly unique. The greatest gifts in life are not purchased, but acquired through hard work and determination.maplestory mesos Find the star that twinkles in your heart?for you alone maplestory powerleveling are capable of making your brightest dreams come true. Give your hopes everything you've got and you will catch the star that holds your destiny.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
ARCHIVES © Copyright 2003-2005 by Marshall Brain

RSS

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?